Recurring Timed Notification

Discussions about goal-oriented and BPMN modeling.
Forum rules
Make sure every topic contains information about your LSPS version and if relevant also your server OS, client OS, database name and version, and application server name and version.
ssmelche

Recurring Timed Notification

Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:55 pm

Hello, I'm creating a process in LSPS 3.0 and want to have a timed notification that is sent to the process initiator every 24 hours until the process has reached an End Event.

I started by having a Timer Start Event in my process definition, but it seemed to not be able to use a variable that I have defined in the process definition that is updated/worked with in the rest of the process model. It was always just a null value.

To work around this issue I created a parallel gateway from the None Start event that would go to the rest of my process, and would go to an intermediate timer event to trigger notifications. The issue here is that the intermediate timer event seems to only fire off one time and doesn't recur.

Finally I replaced the intermediate timer event with a subprocess containing a start timer event and the notification task, but I get an error for the subprocess not having a none start event.

What is the proper way to have recurring notifications sent such that I can access the data in the variable that is manipulated by the process, so that I can create a meaningful notification?

ssmelche

Re: Recurring Timed Notification

Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:44 pm

I think I figured it out.

I took a timer intermediate event and stuck it on top of a reusable subprocess, so as long as the subprocess is still in progress the status emails should get sent out by the interrupting intermediate timer event.

Radovan Cervenka

Re: Recurring Timed Notification

Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:22 pm

Usual pattern is depicted on attached diagram. The Timer Immediate Event without input flow and set Period parameter is placed in the process and wakes up repeatingly, during its process is active. You do not need to put it to a reusable sub-process, if you do not want.
Attachments
example.png
Model of repeating activity
example.png (6.55 KiB) Viewed 2782 times

Return to GO-BPMN