Exception:Resend

Topics related to the LSPS Engine and the management of running processes.
Forum rules
Make sure every topic contains information about your LSPS version and if relevant also your server OS, client OS, database name and version, and application server name and version.
eric.graham

Exception:Resend

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:45 pm

Hello - I have a need where I am wanting to create a process that can "Resend" a "stuck" ticket. (as shown in screen shot). - I am not sure how the "Resend" works internally. I would really appreciate a detailed answers of what and how the Resend works, is "Resend" a keyword for submitting the Model Instance ID in the Expression Evaluator and trying to Persist/Submit the ticket again?, and what information it is sending FROM the Management Console - where that information is going, and so on.
I am trying to get information on how I can somewhat automate this in a process. That is: if the ticket reaches a <?> state (a state that would cause the process to kick off the Resend) the fire the Resend process on that ticket/Model Instance ID. - Any and all information is greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance.
Attachments
Resend.PNG
Resend.PNG (26.68 KiB) Viewed 4434 times

Radovan Cervenka

Re: Exception:Resend

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:03 pm

After instantiation a model, its execution is always triggered by some input; e.g., initial creation of a model instance, arriving a signal, occurring a time event, input from User task, etc. Then, the "sleeping" instance is woken up, and the execution machine performs all steps in the model instance which can be executed immediately until it terminates or is "interrupted" by waiting for other asynchronous inputs; e.g., comes to intermediate event or user task or waiting for web service, etc.

If during execution, an exception occurs, the execution is rolled back to the latest persisted "stable" state, before arriving the last inputs, and exception is recorded. The "Resend" means that the inputs which caused the exception are resend to the model instance again. If nothing changes, it is probable that the same exception occurs again. But if the exception is caused by incorrect persistent data, or process variables or by some external system, you can fix them manually (change the data in database, change variables in model instance, fix the external system) and after fixing you can resend the inputs and hopefully the process execution can continue.

I hope this explanation could help you. If not, or not fully, just ask additional questions.

eric.graham

Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:24 pm

Radovan - great explanation behind the internals of the Resend process. I do appreciate it!
- Though I do have another question. (*And I do understand, and agree with you comment of "If nothing changes, it is probable that the same exception occurs again. Depending on what caused the Exception...i.e. Null pointer error... this would require fixing the issue and manually Resending the ticket/Model Instance manually, as in the Management Console.)

If I were to create a Process flow, (if the Model Instance reaches an Exception state), kick of this Resend Process...how could I go about doing this? Meaning, how in the PDS could I call, or initiate, a Resend from a Process Flow? - I am not sure, if I were to create a Trigger, how it would be possible to create an Expression Language problematically to fire this event.
Is there anyway you could shed some light on this? Maybe lead my in the direction of some event that I could call? (meaning, in the process, if the ticket becomes in Exception state, then fire <something that could initiate the Resend from the Process I create>.

Thank you again for your detailed and useful incite!

eric.graham

Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:35 pm

I also forgot to mention, we are using Production of 2.7.1424, and I am currently trying to "automate" the Resend Process in 3.1.1014.

Return to Management