How do I start a specific process that is not auto-starting?

Topics related to the LSPS Engine and the management of running processes.
Forum rules
Make sure every topic contains information about your LSPS version and if relevant also your server OS, client OS, database name and version, and application server name and version.
cbmeeks

How do I start a specific process that is not auto-starting?

Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:45 pm

Let's say I have a Module called "Orders". Normally, I have one process inside that module that is set to instantiate automatically (these are executable modules).

This has worked well but as we are starting to better organize our application, I am putting other processes inside these modules. Historically, they have only had ONE.

These new processes are NOT set to automatically instantiate because they alter data. They are used as Reusable Sub-Processes in other modules. So the Order module might have:

Order (normal auto-instantiating process)
DeleteOrder (does not auto-instantiate)
UpdateOrder (etc...)

Anyway, I see no way to manually execute the "DeleteOrder" or "UpdateOrder" unless I put it in an auto-instantiating process and call a createModelInstance.

Which gets ugly real fast because we would need dozens of modules of the same type.

A typical use case would be for an admin to log in and JUST execute "UpdateOrder", for example. They may not need to execute an entire "Order" workflow. Other examples would be Testing or admin processes that are very specific.

Do you have any suggestions on how to better handle this?

Thanks

Radovan Cervenka

Re: How do I start a specific process that is not auto-start

Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:58 pm

Probably a better solution would be to create processes auto-instantiated, but started with event-based Start Events; for example, Signal Start Event. Instantiation of such a process would be triggered by sending the corresponding signal to already running model instance. In this case, you could share a common context for all processes running on the same business data, e.g., Order; which would be more complicated if you create new model instance for each such process.

cbmeeks

Re: How do I start a specific process that is not auto-start

Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:18 pm

That's a good idea.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to Management