Recovering from an Interrupted Process

Topics related to the LSPS Engine and the management of running processes.
Forum rules
Make sure every topic contains information about your LSPS version and if relevant also your server OS, client OS, database name and version, and application server name and version.
matt.price

Recovering from an Interrupted Process

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:21 pm

We have a process that failed to send an email for reasons unknown at this time.

Can we restart this mail activity somehow?

Moving forward we plan to add interrupting error intermediate events to all email tasks.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (9.48 KiB) Viewed 2812 times

Ondrej Danko

Re: Recovering from an Interrupted Process

Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:17 am

Hi Matt,

you can resend the input from the Management perspective of PDS. In the Exception Handling view locate the exception (pointer 1 in the screenshot bellow) and put focus on it. Then press Resend button (pointer 2).
Attachments
resend.png
resend.png (32.09 KiB) Viewed 2802 times

matt.price

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:18 pm

I see no exceptions for this model instance. Not sure why they wouldn't be in the list (filtered or not).

Maros Bajtos

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:41 pm

Hi Matt,

is the SendEmail task the standard task from LSPS standard library? Is the screenshot the standard execution diagram which you see when you are inspecting the model instance?

The interruption of tasks usually happens because of some event outside - e.g. if the task is in the plan for goal and if the goal gets deactivated/failed then also the task get deactivated. Given the assumption that this task is in the plan for some goal, I am interested to know:

1. Is the plan in which this task is executed failed in the diagram? Is the goal also failed? Is the top goal failed?
2. What is the value of "Failure error codes" for the plan where the task is?

My assumption is that the Failure error codes is null in you case - that means that any error in the plan will cause the plan to fail. That also means that the whole goal hierarchy fails too, because it basically means that there is an error that occurred and we recognize it, but we don't have any mechanism to handle such a case. By default the Failure error codes is empty set, which means that any error thrown in the plan will roll back the process back to the last stage. More information about the lifecycle of goals and plans and how the different error conditions are handled can be found in documentation.

matt.price

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:04 pm

Yes, standard email task
Yes, this is the screenshot from the inspection window of the actual process needing recovery.

No Plan failures and no Goal failures.

Will send some more screen shots via private message or email...

Maros Bajtos

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:27 am

Matt,

I believe that the behaviour was caused by inconsistent rollback of DB transaction - I recall that you've seen another similar (by cause) issue before. It seems to me that for some reason when you are restarting the app server, the connections are not closed and roll backed properly.

eric.graham

Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:07 pm

Ondrej Danko wrote:Hi Matt,

you can resend the input from the Management perspective of PDS. In the Exception Handling view locate the exception (pointer 1 in the screenshot bellow) and put focus on it. Then press Resend button (pointer 2).

Can this "Resend" but automated...as in made into a Process flow. i.e. (sudo) if the Exception is not null, get Model Instance ID and Resend. Maybe have a job that runs every X minutes, checks the Exception status, if it finds one, get the Model Instance ID and fire off the Process to Resend the Model Instance via ID. Is this possible? - if so, any starting points to make this happen???

Thanks in advance.

Return to Management